~E~ You know, it's often these little things that go unnoticed that snowball into making life dangerous for certain groups of people. In this case, it's women. Apparently some doctors in Canada are refusing to provide pap smears to unmarried women, presumably because if you aren't married, you should not be having sex, and so would not contract a sexually transmitted disease which might ultimately lead to cervical cancer. Ergo, if you ARE having sex, you deserve to die (if you are female; no word on if unmarried men are denied testing and treatment for STDs). You must suffer the consequences, much like the belief that if you have sex, you should not be allowed birth control or abortion because everyone has to pay the price for HER behavior - pregnancy. (link) I contacted Peggy to learn more about what was going on with the doctors refusing to perform pap smears and she responded by saying that in one case it is actually the doctor's receptionist who won't allow he...
Red Haired Mary is my mom. I couldn't have asked for a better one, frankly. I like to call her momster. She was always the most comforting person in my life, even when she was too frazzled to protect me from the torture my sister inflicted on me. I clearly remember her hollering from the other room for us to knock it off!! as though I was equally responsible for being pinned down and tickled. She took me to my first and only Badger football game, and I think she was thrilled that we had a day together filled with such excitement. We snuggled on the couch under blankets together in those cold dark f-f-freezing days of winter. My first clear memory of her -- I'm five years old. She's sitting on a chair where I try to squeeze in next to her. She says, in a strained voice, "No, honey, you can't sit with me right now." Then my dad took her to the hospital where she birthed my little brother. I suppose labor pains are as good an excuse as any to have your chair t...
~E~ Yes, my friends, it is spider season. My house is wrapped in spiderwebs. My pals the big fat creepy spiders have taken up residence under the eaves. I'm finding webs and daddy-long-leg type spiders in my house. All I can say is, UGH !! I wonder at the disgust and fear so many of us have towards spiders. For the most part, spiders do a good thing by eating the other insect pests that bug (haha. bug.) us. But still, ugh. I DON'T want them in my house but I haven't the courage to gently put them outside like some folks do. Killing them is horrid but I still find a way to do it. Squish. Then in the trash they go. I know that the ball is in my court when I see a spider. Once I yelled at Al, "SPIDER!!!" and he just walked away and said, 'sorry babe, you're on your own'. He hates them more than I do. It's ok, AL, I still like ya. One summer I found an odd little ball of -something- on my back step, just outside the door. I poked it with a stick and it...
Comments